Not only do we care about our patients, we care about our environment. Protecting our environment is one of the greatest challenges facing society today, and we have a responsibility to minimize the negative impact of our consumption on the environment. Our concern for our environment, community, and the health and safety of our patients, team members and their families, motivates us to become as “green” as we can be. Here are a few of the steps we have taken to achieve that goal:
- Collection of email addresses to correspond with dentists and patients when possible.
- Web-based technology for patient reminders and account access.
- Use of a special system to treat our x-ray chemicals, which breaks them down so they can be disposed of safely.
- Use paper and envelopes certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) where possible.
- Turn off computers, equipment and lights at the end of the day to reduce energy consumption.
- Moved to LCD computer screens, which use less energy and emit less radiation than traditional CRT screens.
- Recycle aluminum, paper, glass, plastic and Tim Horton’s cups. We recycle approximately 70 lbs. of plastics and paper each month.
- Used printer cartridges are donated to a local school for recycling. Rewards are earned for each cartridge, and are used to buy books for the school library.
- Partner with Terracycle and Garnier to recycle all personal care and beauty product packaging used by our team and their and families, through the Beauty Brigade.
- Partner with Terracycle and Staples to recycle all pens, markers and mechanical pencils used at the office and our homes.
All of us at Smiles in Motion are proud of our efforts to get “green”.